Apply Now for the 2019 Outstanding Student of the Year Award!
Each year, the C2SMART Center acknowledges one student from any of its member institutions as a Student of the Year as chosen by the Center’s executive leadership committee. The chosen student will be acknowledged and awarded:
- Cash prize of $1,000 and a certificate from USDOT
- The cost of attendance (includes travel, lodging expenses, and registration fees) for the 2020 99th Annual TRB Meeting in Washington, DC from January 12-16, 2020
- Free registrations to the Council of University Transportation Centers Banquet for the student and one guest (note: award does not cover travel/lodging expenses of student’s personal guest)
Selection will be based upon accomplishments in three areas: Technical Merit and Research Capability, Academic Performance, and Leadership. The following minimum requirements must also be met:
- Eligible candidates must have received financial support from the Center prior to receiving the award.
- Eligible candidates must have completed with a grade of B or better at least 12 hours of graduate course work at the time the selection is made, and have a graduate GPA in excess of 3.25 (out of 4.00).
- Eligible candidates must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
- Eligible candidates must be available to attend the CUTC banquet on January 11, 2020 in Washington, DC.
To apply, students must complete the application form, providing detailed answers to each of the specified questions. The responses should not exceed the provided length of the form (maximum of 2 pages). The student should also include the following attachments to the application:
- Academic transcript (unofficial copy is acceptable)
- Resume and biographical sketch
- Nomination letter from at least one faculty member
- Copy of paper(s) written by the nominee (if applicable), including a short description of the student’s contribution to the paper
Once complete, the application form and attachments should be submitted electronically returned as a single PDF with the student’s last name followed by institution (e.g. Name_NYU.pdf) via email to their institution’s Center-affiliated director by the prescribed deadline of October 31, 2019. Late applications will not be accepted, and there are no exceptions to this rule. The award winner will be notified by the Center by late November 2019.
The Center-affiliated directors for each of the participating institutions are:
C2SMART's 2018 Outstanding Student of the Year
Andrew Shehata, a master’s student at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, was chosen to be C2SMART’s 2018 Outstanding Student of the Year. Shehata works with Professor Hani Nassif and has worked on research pertaining to a health monitoring system of infrastructure facilities such as road and bridges, fiber-reinforced concrete for rehabilitation project and testing of beams with bonded and unbonded tendons.