Statewide Mobility Services Program Strategic Procurement Planning
The current Statewide Active Transportation Demand Management (ATDM) program is nearing the end of its contract period. This assignment will assist NYSDOT in setting a strategic direction and executing a procurement strategy for a new Statewide Mobility Services Program, building on the strengths of the evolving ATDM Program while leveraging the opportunities now available in the private marketplace.
NYSDOT has operated TDM programs to promote and facilitate the shifting of travel and commute trips from single-occupant vehicles to more efficient modes such as carpooling, vanpooling, transit, walking and biking. The current contract, begun in 2015, re-focused the program as an “ATDM program.” Demand management strategies are increasingly applied within the broader context of Transportation System Management and Operation (TSMO), such as during construction, emergency, and special event management strategies and in multimodal Integrated Corridor Management (ICM). This program’s evolution toward more dynamic integrated mobility strategies occurred in parallel with transformative changes in the marketplace for transportation services. The private sector in mobility services (transportation networking companies, micromobility, Mobility as a Service, etc.) and crowd-sourcing platforms for real-time information on routing, modes, and parking have created tremendous opportunities and challenges to DOTs and transit agencies in how best to support efficient and sustainable transportation.
This Assignment seeks to gather insights into the current and evolving state of the marketplace for mobility services and strategies to inform NYSDOT’s strategic procurement for a Statewide Mobility Services Program. The assignment will assess the needs and opportunities for a Department mobility program and guide the approach to structuring procurement for a new contract or contracts. The assignment will gather industry input, via outreach and engagement with industry peers and NYSDOT ATDM program stakeholders as well as a Request for Information (RFI), on the changing marketplace for mobility services (including those provided under the existing ATDM contract). The RFI process will lead to one or more RFPs to contract for services that ensure that current the needs of the public and private mobility marketplace are considered and included.
- Organize, Facilitate and Summarize Peer Public Mobility Program Phone/Web Meetings The C2SMART Team will work with NYSDOT to identify 3 to 5 public sector mobility peer programs that may provide models or insights to guide the direction of NYSDOT’s future program. C2SMART Team will organize, host, and summarize up to 5 peer calls/webinars between NYSDOT program managers and peer organizations, including producing agendas, managing logistics, scheduling and invites, facilitating discussions, and summarizing the meeting discussion and findings.
- Organize, Facilitate and Summarize a Half Day NYSDOT Brainstorming Session on Future Direction of Statewide Mobility Services Program The C2SMART Team will work with NYSDOT to organize and host a half-day “Brainstorming Session” on the future direction of a Mobility Services Program. The composition of participants will seek to represent a range of perspectives including C2SMART subject matter experts, current NYSDOT ATDM Program Managers, a cross-section of NYSDOT staff who have subject matter expertise in related topics, junior NYSDOT staff and/or C2SMART students. The meeting objective is to identify opportunities and priorities for an effective Mobility Service Program.
- Assist in NYSDOT in Developing and Managing the Evaluation of Responses to a Statewide Mobility Services Program Request for Information (RFI) The C2SMART Team will assist NYSDOT in their development and drafting of a Request for Information (RFI) to gathering input from across the range of mobility industry practitioners, service providers, consultants and research entities regarding the role and direction of mobility services in a rapidly changing marketplace. The RFI will pursue a greater understanding regarding marketplace options for NYSDOT to offer effective mobility services.
- Assist NYSDOT in Developing a Proposed Statewide Mobility Services Program Structure and Request(s) for Proposals (RFPs) The C2SMART Team will assist NYSDOT in their development and drafting of a Request for Proposals for a Statewide Mobility Service Program. Should the research team identify, over the course of the previous three tasks, a need to develop additional Requests for Proposals for alternative needs, project sponsors will be identified for development under separate task orders. The Team will evaluate the solutions provided through the RFI process and rank them, using the best solutions as the foundations for the RFP.
- Assist NYSDOT in Review Process for Responding Proposals to Statewide Mobility Services Program RFP(s) The C2SMART Team will assist NYSDOT, as needed, in the technical review of consultant proposals submitted in response to the Statewide Mobility Service Program RFP(s). This may include reviewing and analyzing proposals to provide technical support to the NYSDOT consultant selection committee. It is anticipated that C2SMART will assist the NYSDOT selection committee with a review of up to 5 proposals received as a result of the initial developed RFP.